Lore of San Cipriano
The Founding of San Cipriano
San Cipriano was founded on January 6, 1774, as Mission San Cipriano by Father Santiago Fernandez and a small group of Mexican colonists of black and mestizo ancestry. They settled and built the mission on the banks of the Grand River not far from what is now the Grand River Cemetery. The mission is dedicated to the patron saint Cyprian of Antioch, and of course also to Our Lady the Queen of Heaven and to Jesus Christ the Redeemer.
San Cipriano was re-founded as an American city (two years prior to California statehood) 74 years later on January 6, 1848.